Project Quality Management Plan
Quality Management Planning Template
This template is provided as a guide to help the project leader/manager plan quality management activities for the project.
Please send questions and feedback about the use of this template to email@example.com.
Directions For Use
- Save a copy of the IT Project Quality Management Plan template (Word).
- Review the guidance on this page and in each section of the template.
- Plan for project quality management by completing each section of the IT Project Quality Management Plan template as thoroughly as possible.
- If desirable, attach the completed template to the project scope form.
- Store completed template with the other project management documentation in the project document repository.
- Distribute appropriate sections of the template to project stakeholders according to the project communications plan.
Quality Management Strategy
The goals for quality management of information technology projects at Virginia Tech are to assure:
- Project deliverables meet their stated requirements.
- Project management processes are appropriately followed.
Quality management is performed throughout the project lifecycle with special attention to:
- Quality Planning – primarily during the project planning process.
- Quality Assurance (QA) – primarily during the project execution process.
- Quality Control (QC) – primarily during the project monitoring and controlling process.
- Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V) – ideally performed in all project processes except initiation. (Note: IV&V is required for very high risk, complex projects.)
Quality is the degree to which the project fulfills requirements. Quality management planning determines quality policies and procedures relevant to the project for both project deliverables and project processes, defines who is responsible for what, and documents compliance.
The quality management plan identifies these key components:
|Objects of quality review||Quality Measure||Quality Evaluation Methods|
|Project Deliverables||Deliverable Quality Standards Customer Satisfaction||Quality Control Activities|
|Project Processes||Process Quality Standards Stakeholder Expectations||Quality Assurance Activities|
The following is a brief explanation of each of the components of the quality management plan.
|Project Deliverables and Project Processes||The key project deliverables and processes subject to quality review.|
|Deliverable Quality Standards||The quality standards that are the "measures" used to determine a successful outcome for a deliverable. These standards may vary dependent on the type of information technology project.|
|Customer Satisfaction||The customer satisfaction criteria describe when each deliverable is complete and acceptable as defined by the customer. Deliverables are evaluated against these criteria.|
|Process Quality Standards||The quality standards that are the "measures" used to determine if project work processes are being followed. The Process Guidelines Checklist can be used as an aide.|
|Stakeholder Expectations||Stakeholder expectations describe when a project process is effective as defined by the project stakeholders. An example is the review and approval of all high impact changes to the project.|
|Quality Control Activities||The quality control activities that monitor and verify that the project deliverables meet defined quality standards.|
|Quality Assurance Activities||The quality assurance activities that monitor and verify that the processes used to manage and create the deliverables are followed and are effective.|
See the Quality Assurance process for details.
See the Quality Control process for details.
Independent Verification and Validation
See the Independent Verification and Validation process for details.